Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Monday, April 9, 2018

Beogram 4002 and 4004 DC Motor Restoration

I recently received two DC motors from a Beogram 4002 and a Beogram 4004, both located in Denmark. As usual, I started with the oil infusion process since it solves RPM stability issues in most cases. This shows the 4002 motor as received:
I took it apart:
The brass bearings are the two small donuts on the black pad up front. I immersed them in motor oil and pulled a vacuum:
Immediately, bubbles emerged from both bearings. This indicates that the oil infusion process has started. After about 48 hours the bubbling stopped and I extracted the bearings:
Then I reassembled the motor for testing. This shows the tool I use for pressing in the top bearing:
After assembling the motor I installed it into one of my Beogram 4002s and ran it for 24 hrs recording the RPM with my BeoloverRPM device:
I did the same process for the 4004 motor. This shows the RPM curves that I measured:
The red curve on top shows the 24 hr RPM performance of the 4002 motor. It performed fairly well with a 0.47uF capacitor in place for C10 in the motor control circuit. The dark blue curve shows the same measurement for the 4004 motor. some upward spikes are evident. I ran this motor a second time with a 10uF value in place for C10. This quieted the situation down and a near perfect curve was measured. So I recommend to replace the 0.47uF with a 10uF value if the 4004 did not come with a 10uF value factory installed (some do).
Time to send this motors back to their Beograms. They are ready to serve for another 35 years...;-).






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!