Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Monday, November 2, 2015

Beomaster 8000: Repair of a Chipped Veneer Corner

One more thing needed to get tidied up before the Beomaster 8000 that I just finished restoring could join its friends, the Beogram 8000 and the Beocord 9000 in our living room: The front right corner of the front veneer panel was damaged:

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult, maybe even impossible, to find this type of rosewood veneer these days. So I decided to give it a try to fix this corner instead of replacing the entire veneer strip. I still had some teak veneer from earlier experiments with rebuilding the veneer panels of a Beomaster 1900 that I was given at some point with all veneer strips missing. I did some 'microsurgery' using this veneer after I thinned it down to the approximate thickness of the 8000 veneer strips. I cut appropriate small pieces and glued them into the veneer gap. After that I used drawing pencils to color the wood in a rosewood-similar hue:

The outcome: Not 100% perfect, but pretty good in my opinion. One of those flaws that people will only see after one points it out to them. Definitely much better than before!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!