Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Beogram 8000: Glueing the Aluminum Panels Back On

I still have to see a Beogram 8000 that did not have aluminum panels that came loose from the aged double sided tape that holds them in place. And the one I am currently rebuilding was not exception. I usually glue the main panel that encloses the platter with epoxy using 4-40 washers to bridge the gap between plastic enclosure and the panel. The washers help avoid bonding issues since the panel does not sit flush with the underlying plastic part due to a lip on the outer perimeter on which the panel rests. I use carpenter clamps and a weight to hold the panel down while the epoxy sets:

For this particular Beogram 8000 we decided to not use epoxy for the tonearm cover since it has a small flaw on one corner, and later exchange needs to be possible once a suitable panel has been found as replacement. Therefore, I used double sided tape like in the original setup:

This shows a couple of tape strips carefully applied to the hinge:

After orienting the panel to sit parallel alongside the hood and lining up with its back I pressed it into place, and that was it:

All good now...Back to playing some vinyl with this unit to make sure I did not miss anything. I always like to give restored units a couple weeks of intense play to make sure there are no intermittent issues.





1 comment:

  1. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.
    אלומיניום

    ReplyDelete

Comments and suggestions are welcome!