Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Friday, May 15, 2015

Beomaster 4400: Recapping the FM Decoder PCB

The Beomaster 4400 that I am currently restoring works seems to be nicely now. I listened to it occasionally the last two days, and nothing else came up. So we decided to go ahead and do a recap. Definitely worth doing for this unit due to its excellent cosmetic condition. I already did the IF stage during the trouble shooting process. Today I followed up with the decoder board, that also can be removed. Here are a few pictures:
This shows the board 'in situ':

Taken out. It can be a bit tricky to get this board out since the plastic clamps can be fairly difficult to push through the holes. I usually put a touch of Ballistol around the routed openings in the PCB to ease the strain on the often brittle material:

And after exchanging all electrolytic caps with quality 105C Japanese models:

After this was done, I cleaned the headers on the main PCB and coated them with DeoxIT D100L for long term stability. Then I plugged the board back in and turned the Beomaster on. All good. The reservoir caps are next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!