Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Beomaster 6000 (2253): Volume Belt Installed Four Years Ago All Cracked Up

I am selling a Beomaster 6000 (2253) that I fixed up in 2011. Back then the off-ebay unit had lost its volume belt and so I ordered a new one. Well, I ran it the last two weeks and it worked fine. Then I decided to open it up and have a look, just 'to make sure' before sending it off. And what I found was this:

The belt was all cracked up and only barely still kept it together. A few more months and it would have died for sure. The way this belt looked it is a clear sign that I was sold a BUNA N O-ring seal back then instead of a EPDM transmission belt with round cross-section (I learned about BUNA N the hard way when I did the motor unit of my Beomaster 6000 4-Channel for the second time). I went to my trusted source, the "O-Ring Store" and ordered a bunch of EPDM rings. The BUNA ring measured 1-3/4" diameter, but EPDM is softer. I tried a few sizes and in the end I settled on the 1-1/2 diameter E70029 type which ran without slippage and gave me a taut feeling. Here is an impression:
Beautiful! This should last a while. BTW: The belt is easy to replace. One can simply pull off the string pulley from the volume potentiometer, place the ring over it and stick it back on the shaft. Carefully done, this avoids having to mess with the string driven volume indicator.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!