Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Beogram 4002 (5513): Keypad Restoration and LEDs for the RPM Indicators

The Beogram 4002 (5513) that I am restoring right now came with a pretty badly worn keypad. Unfortunately, the keypads are a weakness of this design since their surface does not respond well to the presence of fatty acids deposited from the user's fingers over time.

Sadly, after a long illness my friend in Denmark, who in the past restored these keypads for me, passed away recently. May he rest in peace in B&O heaven.
Over his last few months he taught me how he does it. I started practicing to fix them a couple months ago, and finally I achieved one good outcome. It is a pretty difficult process, and I would say I am not quite reproducible yet with it, but it worked once so far:
This picture shows the original keypad of the Beogram on the left. It has severe usage marks on the most commonly used keys. On the right is the one that I was able to restore. It looks quite original, I think. Now let's see if I can do it a second time...

While I had the keypad out, I also exchanged the incandescent bulbs in the RPM scales with my LED replacement boards. This shows the original bulbs:
And replaced with my SMD LED boards:
These assemblies are available to other enthusiasts. Just send me an email. This video shows how to install them.
On to repairing the cracked plinth!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!