Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Beogram 4002 (5513): Test Drive with Herbie Hancock (Secrets)

A happy moment in Beolover's lab: Just received a quite pristine copy of a 1976 recording of Herbie Hancock's "Secrets" album (Columbia CA 34280). Almost looks like it was never played. I just love this record. I think my favorite track is "People Music". It has some lovely spaced out sections with awesome 1970s analog synthesizer sounds (apparently on a "Maestro Universal Synthesizer System").
I decided to play this record on the Beogram 4002(5513) that I just rebuilt. It is connected to my Beomaster 6000 4-Channel right now for testing. The Beogram is still apart since I am waiting for a RCA pseudo-balanced cable from Sounds Heavenly to complete the job. This beauty will be used on a McIntosh pre-amp that has RCA inputs. Anyway, here are a couple impressions of my bliss:

Note the nice almost-parallel alignment of the tone arm relative to the sensor arm:

The tracking mechanism rebuild with my latest iteration of the light bulb replacement fixture seems to work great. Everything is very stable. Definitely an improvement over my earlier approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!