Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Beomaster 4000 (2406): Installation of Custom Designed Toroid Transformer - Final Impressions

I finished up the toroid transformer implantation in the Beomaster 4000 that I am currently restoring. I added a bolt to fix it in its 3D printed cradle and used the mounting plate and rubber shock absorber that came with the toroid to secure it in place. Here is an impression:
Lovely! A very happy look in my opinion! 
Then I put on the bottom plate:
and with plate installed:
This shows a the detail around the 'gills' of the Beomaster:
I like how the red shines through a bit. Since the toroid represents a performance upgrade of the Beomaster and brings its power supply into the current millennium, I like that it can be seen a bit if closely scrutinized. Putting in a toroid into a Beomaster 4000 is a bit like installing Brembo calipers on a vintage BMW 5-series, if you catch my drift...;-):
Toroids have a much improved EMI performance than conventional "EI" style transformers due to their geometry. That is the main reason why most modern low noise analog power supplies employ toroid designs.
While I am writing this post I ran the unit together with the Norwegian Beogram 4000 that I am testing right now, and I can report that it sounds absolutely awesome! No humming on any input and everything stays absolutely cool including the toroid and I am cranking it up quite a bit right now. Appropriate for Jethro Tull's Aqualung!
This pretty much concludes the restoration of this Beomaster (if nothing comes during the testing period). Here is a picture of the units with exchanged parts:





1 comment:

Comments and suggestions are welcome!