Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Beogram 4004: DC Motor Restoration

I recently received a Beogram 4004 DC platter motor from a customer in Indiana for restoration. This shows the motor as received:
I tried to run it with my bench supply, but no response except a high current...not a great sign. The pulley came right off...a sign of previous 'creative human interaction'! I took the outer housing off, and saw that the bearing spring was peeking out above the top bearing:
This indicated that the bearing was below the spring, which was confirmed when I took out the rotor:
I extracted the bent bearing spring:
I also saw that the feedback pickup coils on the spring carrier have curiously 'melted' plastic spool tops:
Not sure what happened there...I went ahead and disassembled everything to get the bottom bearing out:
The bearings are the two small donuts on the black pad. I immersed them in oil and pulled a vacuum. Immediately vigorous bubbling started, indicating that air was drawn from the pores of the Oilite bearing material to make room for fresh oil interdiffusion:
After about 72 hrs the bubbling stopped. I tried to restore the bent bearing spring as good as possible so the bearing could be held in place again safely. Then I reassembled the motor and installed it in one of my Beogram 4002s for a 24 hrs RPM stability test with the BeoloverRPM device. The BeoloverRPM allows logging of the RPM over long periods of time.

This is the curve I measured:
It seems I was lucky with the bearing spring. This RPM curve is pretty much as good as it gets. This motor is ready for duty again!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!