Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Beogram 4002 DC Motor Restoration

I recently received a Beogram 4002 DC motor from France for a bit of TLC. As usual, my first step was to do an oil infusion of the oilite brass bearings. In most cases this does the trick and the motors can be used again. This shows the motor as received:
I disassembled it to get the bearings out:
The bearings are the two small donuts on the black pad.

I immersed the bearings in motor oil and pulled a vacuum. Immediately the characteristic bubbling began, indicating that air was drawn from the bearings to make room for new oil:
After about 24 hrs the bubbling stopped and I put the motor back together. I used my 3D printed tools to install the top bearing:
This shows the two bearings back in place:
Now it was time for the 24 hrs RPM stability test using my Beolover RPM device. It allows the logging of the RPM over time, which is essential for detecting intermittent RPM deviations:
The Beolover RPM is available to other enthusiasts. Please, use the contact form on the right or send me an email. This shows the RPM curve measured during a 24 hrs run:
This result is as good as it gets. The motor is ready for duty again!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!