Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Friday, December 17, 2021

Beogram 4002 DC Motor Restoration

I recently received a Beogram 4002 DC platter motor from the UK for restoration. This shows the motor as received:

I disassembled the motor to extract the bearings:

The bearings are the two small donuts on the black pad upfront. I submerged them in motor oil and pulled a vacuum. Immediately strong bubbling occurred:
This bubbling is indicative of air being drawn from the empty pores of the Oilite bearing material. Once it is extracted, oil can diffuse into the bearing, replenishing its oil reservoir. After about 3 days the bubbling stopped and I extracted the bearings:

I re-assembled the motor and installed it in one of my Beogram 4002s for testing with the BeoloverRPM device:
The BeoloverRPM is able to log the RPM in 10s intervals for extended periods of time. This is ideal for detecting intermittent RPM fluctuations. This is the curve I measured during approximately 24 hrs:

This is a pretty good result, indicating that this motor is ready for duty again. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!