Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Monday, December 13, 2021

Beogram 4002 DC Platter Motor: Replacement of Spark Snubbers

A Beogram 4002 (5513) DC platter motor that I restored in 2016 returned to my bench due to noticeable RPM variations. In 2016 I had re-infused the bearings of this motor with motor oil, but did not replace the spark snubbers. At the time, the motor performed well after the infusion process.

I first installed the returned motor in one of my 4002s and took a 24 hr RPM stability measurement. What I measured is the blue curve in this graph:


The erratic spikes in this curve suggested one or more malfunctioning spark snubbers. 

I opened the motor up and extracted the rotor. This shows the commutator end of the rotor with the original spark snubbers (blue devices):


I removed the snubbers. This shows the original ones with their replacements (modern bidirectional TVS devices):


I soldered the TVS units between the rotor poles:


Then I re-assembled the motor and ran another 24 hrs RPM test. This test yielded the red curve in the above graph, which is similar to the curve I measured in 2016. This motor is back in business!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!