Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Beogram 4002 DC Platter Motor Restoration

Recently, I received a Beogram 4002 DC platter motor from Nebraska for some TLC. This shows the motor as received:

When I bench tested it it ran noisily, a clear indication of dry bearings. I disassembled the motor to get to the bearings:

The bearings are the two small donuts up front. I immersed them into motor oil and pulled a vacuum:

Immediately, bubbling started, which is indicative of air being drawn out from the porous bearing material. This creates room for oil to diffuse into the bearing. After about 48 hours the bubbling stopped and I removed the bearings from the vacuum jar:
I reassembled the motor and installed it into one of my 4002s for an RPM stability test with my BeoloverRPM device:
The BeoloverRPM allows logging of the RPM over extended periods of time. This is the curve I measured over about 24 hrs:

This is as good as it gets with the Beogram 4002 DC platter motor, i.e. this motor is ready for duty again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!