Featured Post

Beogram Commander Remote Control: Maybe This is the Final Version!..;-)

This is a follow up to my recent post about the redesigned Beogram Commander remote control board, which now works in both (DC-motor) Beogr...

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Beogram 8000: Not Responding to Keyboard Input - Not Working Rotary Encoder Feedback

A Beogram 8000 hailed from Tokyo in search for some TLC. It was initially purchased from ebay and supposed to be in excellent condition. Once unboxed, however, it turned out that the unit did not work properly. There is already an extensive thread on Beoworld.org about the issues this unit displayed. In a nutshell, when pressing start the arm would run to the end of its range and then be stuck.
Yesterday, I opened the unit up and had a look. I immediately suspected a fault with the rotary encoder that is fitted to the spindle that drives the carriage with the arms. In difference to the earlier 400x models, the 800x employ a more modern positioning concept that is based on detecting the angular motion of the spindle and calculating the carriage position from that. This is a concept that is used in most modern control systems involving motors. The encoder unit is very similar to the ones used in the Beomaster 8000 for the volume and FM frequency wheels.
In the Beogram 8000 the evaluation of the encoder signals is done by the microcontroller, which has two inputs that detect the intensity fluctuations on two sensors. The fluctuations are generated via an aperture wheel that sits between the detectors and the IR emitter. Depending on the phase of the fluctuations on the two detectors relative to each other the system can detect the direction of the motion. The number of intensity oscillations tell the traveled distance. This way, the microcontroller always knows where the needle is. This 'feedback' is used to determine where to set down the arm, when it is time to lift and return home etc...
Therefore, when there is no feedback, the controller does not know anymore where the arm is. The firmware seems to be programmed with simple if...then conditionals that cause action depending on the position. If the position does not change in the mind of the controller (in the case of a non-working encoder system) the arm simply continues to travel until it hits the mechanical stop at the end.

All this suggested to me that I needed to investigate the encoder system to get to the bottom of the issue at hand. Below is the relevant section of the circuit diagram. Since I had similar problems already a couple times with Beomaster 8000s that I restored, I first checked on the functionality of the light detectors and the IR diode (OPE1). In the Beomasters the diodes had failed.

With the multimeter I determined 1.2V at the anode of the diode and this told me that it most likely was o.k. (they usually die by going OC). Then I measured the resistance on the photoresistors. They both showed about 1k when shining a strong LED light into the assembly and about 20-40k when just room light trickled into the setup. This seemed o.k., too. 

So I hooked up my oscilloscope and measured at the P2/6 and P2/4 whether I got pulses when manually turning the spindle. Of course the deck needs to be in PLAY mode or another on state to have things powered up. I had it in PLAY with the carriage belt removed, so the motor simply ran but the spindle did not move. This measurement yielded pulses for both encoder channels. The next step was checking the outputs of the opamps. And there I found a first clue to the problem: IC2 had no pulses at the output, while IC1 gave me nice 5V square pulses.
So I had a look at the PCB, and there it was:

The input of IC2 was short circuited to GND. In the above photo that is the IC pin that is associated with R5. It connects to the adjacent GND pad on the left via a gigantic solder ball. In fact if you look at the entire area it is apparent that someone with very little practice in electronics messed around and did some 'expert work'. Another great example of a 'perfect condition' or 'fully restored' ebay unit....(I hope this guy will smolder for a long time in Vintage Hifi Purgatory when his time comes).

Grounding the IC2 input of course results in a zero output signal since then there is nothing to amplify, and that explained my measurement. I fired up my Hakko desoldering gun and removed the solder from the pads and then resoldered them:

And this did the trick. The unit is working again. I put on my least favorite record (Sam Rivers) that I use for this type of testing, and pressed PLAY. The arm moved to the lead-in groove and lowered. Cueing worked and STOP. Very good!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!