Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Beogram 4004 for the Workshop: Assessing the Beogram

Here on the Beolover Blog we collect and own the same vintage Bang & Olufsen audio components that we post restorations for.  A lot of our restoration projects are for other owners of course but we have to make time for our own collection.  

I have a lot of Beogram turntables restored and working in my own collection but I don't have a Beogram 4004 (a restored one that is).  The last few years it seems I have always had someone else's Beogram 4004 handy when I needed to check something out...but I kept telling myself I need to get one of my own restored for the workshop.

This is one of those personal collection restorations.  A very nice Beogram 4004 Type 5526 turntable I picked up several years ago. It has been patiently waiting its turn :-).

I knew as soon as I received this Beogram 4004 that it would be a perfect example of one for my collection.  It is in really nice shape.




























I was really happy to examine and see that the dust cover has been well taken care of.
I don't see any problem cracks in the acrylic dust cover where the metal hinges attach.








































































Not that it will be seen very often but the back side of the Beogram is very clean with no scratches.





















I checked the fuses and the power supply.  The Beogram appears to be functional so that is a good starting point.















































































The arm lowering works and tonearm assembly is in excellent order.
















































































The servo pulley is the original plastic one and has the usual hairline cracks forming. The tangential arm travel works but I can hear a little bit of a rattle.  The servo motor looks like it has the usual deteriorating vibration damping.  





















































The platter motor runs but it is a little bit noisy as well.



























The main board is nice and clean so this looks like it should be a nice, relaxed restoration.



























Once I get this Beogram 4004 restored I will need to finally get a nice Beomaster 2400 receiver restored to go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!