The platter spins and the tangential arm travels.
The path to this point did have a couple of hiccups. I did run into a problem with the arm solenoid not functioning properly with my initial mod intended to prevent magnetic build up on the solenoid plunger. That issue was documented with an update to the previous post. I believe the arm lowering solenoid issue is resolved now.
Here is the arm lowering solenoid put back together as it should be. The only difference is that I disassembled this solenoid and ran a demagnetizer across the metal plunger and frame.
To get to this point where I could test the tangential arm and platter motor I had to reassemble the Beogram floating chassis components back into the cabinet. Then I had to install the circuit boards I recapped (PCB 1 and PCB 8).
First a couple of photos I missed posting regarding some Beogram lubrication points.
The bearing for the tangential arm spindle needs a bit of grease. The service manual calls for the Molykote DX (white) paste here and that is what I used.
The other lubrication point is the shaft of the inner platter and the platter bearing.
I have one service manual that says to use some of the Esso Nuto H44/H32 oil and another one that says to use M4 oil. You can use a good synthetic oil like Liquid Bearings. I have used that before but I have the Esso Nuto H32/H44 so I will use that here.
Setting the platter in the platter bearing and checking the platter height to the top of the fixed arm is another service manual adjustment I decided to go ahead and check while I had the floating chassis out.
It might be easier to wait so you can use the Beogram servo motor to drive the arm further towards the center for checking. This adjustment can take numerous iterations to get right. With the chassis still disassembled here I had to manually turn the spindle.
Fortunately the initial adjustments were made without too many retries.
The top of the platter surface should be 23mm from the top of the fixed arm.
The platter bearing is threaded so that distance can be adjusted. A large brass nut locks the position down.
Now for the reassembly of the floating chassis back into the cabinet.
The three floating chassis transport locks must be put back together. Sometimes these need a lot of cleaning. This set did not need much. I cleaned them with some alcohol then applied a little dry lubricant to protect against rust.
There is a specific orientation of the locking screws.
The top and bottom threads are opposite so turning the screw locks or unlocks the threaded clamping plates. Note that the top of the screw is a little shorter than the bottom.
Here are photos of two of the three leaf springs.
Do not be in a hurry to straighten those. It is likely that those are as they were from the factory.
Those posts can be bent slightly to obtain proper alignment of the Beogram 4004 deck components.
Once I get to the final reassembly of this Beogram I will be able to see if any adjustment to those posts are necessary.
Here is the DC platter motor that Beolover restored for me a while back.
I checked the tangential arm position sensor output with the arm positioned where clear plexiglass (of the position scale) was between the sensor and its light source. Trimmer resistor 1R88 was used to adjust the output of the sensor at that point to 5 VDC.
Note that Beolover has a blog post with a video that describes the record detection circuit in more detail here.
It is nice to be at the point where I can start thinking about some actual record play testing.
There are still a few more restoration tasks though.
I will be able to do the record play tracking adjustment now, the tonearm lowering limit and record speed calibration. I also need to change out the lamps in the speed indicator panel with the Beolover LED replacement assemblies. In addition...the Beogram's control button panel needs to go through a cleaning of the button contacts.
Cosmetically this Beogram 4004 is in really nice shape. However, its coating on the button panel is showing signs of wear. I will need to find out if the owner wants a recoated (new clearcoat) button panel instead of this worn panel.