Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Friday, April 9, 2021

Beogram 8002: Arm Moves a Few mm and Then Stops - Replacement of Photo Resistors and Bulb in the Keypad

I guess I celebrated the Beogram 8002 that I recently restored a bit too early. After playing a few albums it gave me the 'after pressing start the arm only moves a few mm and then stops without dropping' phenomenon. This is usually an indication that one of the photo resistors in the keypad is on the frizz. A while ago I made a comprehensive post about this phenomenon and how the << >> scan system works.

So I opened the Beogram up again and extracted the keypad:

Then I removed the circuit board (it slides out to the right after removing the small screw that locks it in place):
I should have done this right away after adjusting the scan voltages, since the two screws that control the base line light intensity on the photo resistors were at fairly different levels, indicative that there is a difference between the resistors: 
Anyway, I opened the assembly up, which revealed the photo resistors, the apertures that are moved by the << and >> buttons, as well as the light bulb at the center of the assembly:
I exchanged the photo resistors with GL5549 types (widely available on ebay), and I also replaced the light bulb with a white LED (Newark 14N9428) and a 1k resistor in series:
Then I installed the keypad again in the Beogram and adjusted the scan voltages. After the adjustment both of the screws were about at the same position as it should be!
After this it played again perfectly. I hope this is the last time I have to open it up again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!