Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Beogram 4002 (5523): Replacement of a Wobbly Carriage Pulley with a New Aluminum Unit

After pretty much finishing up the Beogram 4002 (5523) that I am restoring right now I gave it a good playing this afternoon and I quickly realized that the carriage made stressed noises when moving fast such as when returning to the home position after paying a side. This meant that the carriage pulley had issues. And indeed, it turned out that it was cracked like so many of them. It seems the old plastic just cannot hold up to the stress put on it by the setscrew and so it cracks over the years to relieve it. Luckily there is Nick (of Beoworld.com) who provides nicely turned aluminum replacements (I'd be happy to put anyone interested in touch with him). It is amazing what difference it makes if the pulley is centered and runs round.

This shows the old cracked and the new pulley side by side:
And this picture shows the new pulley installed. Pretty, isn't it??:
Now the carriage moves smoothly without excess noises. This is Beolove!


6 comments:

  1. I need one for my 4004! Can Nick help me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need one for my 4004! Can Nick help me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They fit the 4004, too...just send me an email and I will give you his info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks beolover, I have the pulley ordered from Nick. By the way, I used your YouTube video to fix the Tone Arm Mechanism. It was great! I did not know at the time that this blog and the video was by the same person until just now :)

    I did get the old pulley on good enough to test whether my fixes corrected the other issue of not turning off. Now I push start, arm moves and drops in the correct place on the record, and now also auto-returns and shuts off...making progress. Planning to use your other videos to:
    o Either replace 45 Fine Adjustment Bulb (probably will replace all). May change to LED if I don't have the bulbs
    o Reset Tracking Force
    o Polish Cover

    I probably will need a cartridge. The one that came with the turntable has the cavalier point slightly off center, so the suspension is probably failing. The needle point looks worn also. I guess I will order one from Sound Smith, once I know the turntable makes sound. I have an original MMC2 cartridge, and an SMMC2 from Sound Smith for another turntable, and I think the original sounds better, but not much better. I have a SMMC3 from Sound Smith that sounds really good though. Do you have any ideas for a cartridge for the 4004? There is a shop near me that has originals, but he is too expensive. Thought about rebuilding at www.schallplattennadeln.de, but not sure if the cartridge is worth rebuilding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got the Pulley from Nick, and fits perfectly on my 4004. Nice workmanship, and a definite improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I am in need of one of these pulleys. Could you put me in contact with Nick?
    Thanks
    Cornell Smith
    Cornell@audiodoctor.biz

    ReplyDelete

Comments and suggestions are welcome!