Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Friday, July 24, 2015

Beocord 9000: Restoration of the Peak Program Meter with SMD LEDs (II)

The 24 hrs test of the rebuilt Peak Program Meters (PPM) of the Beocord 9000 display that I am rebuilding was successful:



So I set out to reattach the red-green covers. Encouraged by my recent rebuild of a Beocord 9000 counter display, I decided to rely on melting the plastic posts of the red-green covers with my soldering iron set to 200C to recreate the original attachment method. First I needed to clamp the display together, however, to ensure that the covers would make a tight bond with the PCB to avoid light escaping through cracks at the bottom:

I applied the clamps in a way that the cover posts were still accessible and then I melted them by rolling the solder iron tip cone over them. This worked quite nicely:

When I cleaned the PCB with ethanol after soldering the SMD LEDs, the glue that held the light guide down dissolved. This told me that this clear glue was most likely some kind of polyvinyl ester based carpenter glue. So I used 'Aleene's Original Tacky Glue', which is my mainstay for bonding speaker foams to the cones. This glue dries clear, recreating the original look of the bonds:

After the glue was hardened, I put the display again to a 24hrs test to ensure that nothing bad happened during the reassembly:

What a beautiful design! I can't wait until I can make a test-recording with this deck using these lovely big rebuilt PPMs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!