Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Friday, July 24, 2015

Beocord 9000: Repairing a Cracked Clutch Arm

This is a follow up to my initial entry about replacing the idler wheel rubber 'tires' in a Beocord 9000 tape deck. One of the issues I had was that the clutch arm showed a crack where the clutch shaft bearing is press-fitted 


It seems that many of these decks have this issue. A design weakness. While I thought that this is maybe not too dramatic since the strain was released via the crack and the bearing seemed stably in place, I felt that a proper restoration should not leave such a crack unattended. There is an interesting thread on Beoworld.org that was started by Sonavor, who is an expert on these decks. His approach was to buy some fitting copper pipe and cut off small rings that he was able to force over the cracked plastic part. While this is a really pretty looking and solid fix, the disadvantage is that one has to take the clutch apart. I did not want to risk to break the part, so I came up with a different approach:

I designed a 3D printed two-part ABS sleeve that I glued together under pressure using acetone-ABS slurry. This makes a virtually bulk material-strength bond since it dissolves the material at the interface and after evaporation of the solvent an almost uniform piece emerges.

Here is a picture of the parts together with the clutch:
While it was hardening I forced the parts together with a pair of grip pliers

And here is the end result:

I installed this in the Beocord and it works very nicely.



3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    great work. I have a Beocord 9000 in extreme good condition that has the same problem. Do you have parts that you sell?
    Greetings,
    Martin (gandalf391@web.de)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The sleeve is available. Just send me an email/use the contact form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      thats good news. My email address is gandalf391@web.de.
      What kind of solvent did you use for making the slurry? MEK and Dichlormethane? Or a commercial product?
      Thanks in advance,
      Martin

      Delete

Comments and suggestions are welcome!