Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Beogram 4002 (5523): Repair of an Intermittent Sensor Arm Light Source

Recently a Beogram 4002 (5523) returned to my bench, about 14 months after I restored it in May 2022. The reason was a 'not working sensor arm LED'. This made me concerned since this deck was the first to receive my redesigned sensor arm LED assembly.

Luckily, when I set the deck up on my bench and plugged it in the LED was working normally! This indicated some kind of intermittent issue that somehow 'fixed itself' during shipping. 

I wiggled the plugs and cables a bit but to no effect. The LED stayed on! Only when I started to flex the main PCB a bit around P4 where the components of the sensor arm light power supply are grouped nearby, I was able to get the LED to turn off sporadically. 

A closer inspection of the solder points relevant to the sensor arm circuitry revealed a bad solder point on the collector of the transistor that powers the light, TR5:


The collector of TR5 is connected to the 24V power rail via 1R36, which powers the LED.

I re-soldered the point, and that solved the problem. 

This Beogram restoration was done before I realized that the H-bridge power transistors of the carriage drive also need to be replaced preventatively. They seem to frequently go bad after using the decks again for a while, so I decided to add their replacement to the Beolover '400x restoration canon'. Therefore, I used this occasion to update the main PCB in this respect. This shows the original BC144/143 cans in place:

I replaced them with more modern 2N3019 and 2N4033 components. They have the same package, i.e. drop right in:

I will play this deck a bit before it goes back to my customer in Colorado to make sure that there are no other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!