Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Beogram 4002 (5513): Brand New Hood Fatally Damaged Due to Bent Hood Hinges! - Straightening Hinges Out and Installation of Another Hood

I recently restored a Beogram 4002 (Type 5513) for a customer in Florida. This unit also received a new hood, which was procured from the beoparts-shop in Denmark. These hoods are exact replicas of the original ones, i.e. do not have any seams from glueing laser cut plexiglass panels together. They are die-cast like the original ones. Very awesome!

Unfortunately, in this particular case the a strange thing happened: The newly installed hood slightly chafed on the hinge back when closing it. This happened about halfway between fully open and closed. When I installed it I did not really take this issue seriously since it was not very noticeable. I basically put it in the 'in the 70s the manufacturing tolerances were a bit looser than these days' bin and tried to forget about it...;-).

However, blissful ignorance was not an option in this case: After taking his Beogram home, my customer sent me this dramatic picture a few days later:

The hood had spontaneously cracked off one of the hinges. A fracture occurred right at one of the two screws. At this point I thought the chafing was probably the root cause since it put a bit of stress on the hood, but I did not understand what caused the chafing. The metal parts looked perfectly o.k. on first glance.

I sent an email to Martin Olsen who designed these replica hoods and asked him if he knew if something like this had happened before. He answered that "I have an interesting Beogram hood on the bench now from a customer who couldn't make it fit properly. The hood would fit reasonably well one side. At the other side it would sit too high and too far forward, enough to show gaps. Opening the hood, I can see that one hinge buts up against the hinge block as it should, but the other has a gap of 2mm.
I took out the hinges, and they appear to be different, in that they have different angles."

The plot thickened! I removed the hinges from the troubled hood and also the hinges from another hood that I was working at that point on that did not have this issue. This allowed me to directly compare the hinges of the cracked hood with those of a 'normal' hood that did not chafe. This is what I found: Indeed the troubled hood had hinges that had a smaller angle between the two shanks than the normal one. This shows two of them in direct comparison:

It became clear that I needed to bend the bad hinges back into the normal shape. To do this I needed a way to precisely determine when the correct angle was restored. So I designed a 3D printed template that I iterated a few times until it perfectly fit into the normal hinges. The perfect fit was established by being able to put a bolt through the alignment hole that I designed into the block to line up with the hinge pivot point. It is evident that the smaller angle of the chafing hinge prevented the holes from lining up.
I took the bent hinges to the workbench and used a vise and adjustable pliers to open the hinge up a bit.
I carefully bent it by small amounts until I was able to put the bolt through the hinge into the template block:
I did this for the other hinge, too, and then put the hinge assembly back together. One side was lacking the plastic slider block, so I installed a 3D printed replica:
Then it was time to install another one of these awesome hoods as well as a new replica 4002 aluminum strip:
I used my alignment tools to place the strip exactly centered:
And then I bolted the hood to the hinge and glued the strip into place:

And I am happy to report that this hood did not chafe anymore! Beolovely!

Of course I am wondering what may have cause the hinges to deform in the first place. The only idea that came to mind so far is that the troubled hood was opened a bit too far and with a bit of violence. Considering the way the hoods are constructed, this would indeed reduce the angle between the hinge shanks if bending occurred. Treat your Beograms more gently, people! Pretty please?!?!...;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!