Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Beomaster 4400 Type 2419: A Project from Austin Texas

The workbench is full now...with this addition of a Beomaster 4400 restoration project.
This Beomaster was delivered to me by its owner from Austin, Texas.
Not as close as the owners of the Beogram 4004 and Beomaster 2000 projects but close enough to not have to ship the unit.

The Beomaster 4400 is one of my favorites so I am always glad to get a chance to restore one.
My only real fear on these type of restorations is what condition the front switch panel is after 45 years (B&O started producing these in 1977).

These Beomaster 4400 amplifiers are really good in driving a pair of Beovox M100's, M75's or MS150's.
I use my Beomaster 4400 with a pair of MS150.2 speakers and the sound is wonderful.

Here is the Beomaster 4400 subject for this project.

















It has some issues with the slider control lenses but a lot of these Beomaster 4400 units do.
A lot of the time the lenses have become discolored and cloudy.

On this Beomaster the problem is the lenses are scratched and worn.
I have a replacement set of lenses from Beoparts ready for them though.


























The Beomaster 4400 is also missing the cover plate for the FM preset switches.
I have a replacement part for that too.

The front panel switches appear to operate okay but the Off button doesn't force all of the input source switches to switch off when the Off button is pressed.  I will have to investigate the switch panel to resolve that.  It is the one task I would prefer not to have to do.























The under side and rear of this Beomaster looks good.  I don't see rust and corrosion like I have seen on poorly stored units.  I think this Beomaster must have been stored in a good location.
I will find out more when I open up the receiver.























The serial number is quite faded but I think I can make it out to be 1510043.





























I will assess the restoration tasks on the inside of the Beomaster 4400 in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!