Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Beogram 4002 DC Motor: Spark Snubber Replacement

I recently received a Beogram 4002 DC platter motor that I had on the bench already in November 2016. Back then it suffered from a broken off brush as well as a severed pickup coil lead.
Now it exhibited RPM drops again.
This pretty much left issues with the spark snubbers as root cause. I opened the motor up to get to the rotor:




























The spark snubbers are the devices with red dots around the commutator. The new spark snubbers are on the black pad.
I removed the original spark snubbers:
And soldered the new ones between the coil terminals:

Then I performed an RPM stability test over about 24 hrs with the BeoloverRPM device:
This is the curve I measured:
This motor appears ready for duty again!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!