Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Beogram 4002 DC Motor Restoration

I recently received two Beogram 4002 DC platter motors from Michigan for restoration. In the following I will show the process for one of them. The other received the exact same treatment. This shows motor #1 as received:
I disassembled the motor to extract the bearings for oil infusion under vacuum:
The bearings are the two small donuts up front on the black pad. I immersed them in motor oil and pulled a vacuum:
Immediately bubbling started indicating that air was drawn out from the porous bearing material to make room for oil inter diffusion. After about 72 hrs the process stopped and I removed the bearings from the oil:
Then I reassembled the motor and installed it into one of my Beogram 4002s for testing with the BeoloverRPM device:
the BeoloverRPM device allows logging the RPM over extended periods of time. Perfect for detecting elusive intermittent RPM changes. This graph shows the two curves I measured for motors #1 and #2:
These curves are as good as it gets with the Beogram 4002 DC motors. Motor #2 (blue) is slightly more 'unruly' than #1. In my experience some motors can take a while to settle after restoring them, and I think after playing a stack of records, it may well get as stable as #1. At any rate the fluctuations are well below what humans can detect, i.e. these motors are both ready again for business.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!