Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Beomaster 4400 Type 2419: Rebuilding another power on/off switch

I looked over the three broken Beomaster 4400 power on/off switch components. That included two sets of pretty badly charred contacts. When I first looked at them I figured I would just toss them away. Fortunately I waiting and thought about it more. I also did a little research and confirmed that I can't just go find and purchase replacement contacts. The best thing would to be to try and salvage what I have. Then I remembered one of the most important tools in the workshop...the Dremel.

I used the Dremel and an ultrasonic cleaner to refurbish the damaged switch contacts. The results came out pretty good I think. I finished up the cleanup with a Deoxit treatment on the contacts and here is what they look like now.























Here are the cleaned up switch housings and actuators.






























I have a decent selection of parts now to come up with a working Beomaster 4400 power on/off switch.

This set of components looks like my best bet.


































The large switch housing piece has the hole in it from a burned contact but the rest of it looks pretty decent. After I re-install the contacts I can fill that hole with some epoxy.

For mating the two switch housing halves I can use a bead of hot glue again but I am thinking about drilling and tapping three M2 screw holes where the wide part of the housings (where the old mating tabs are). If I go that route I will use nylon M2 screws to join the parts.

Once I have the stationary switch contacts pressed back into the smaller housing I will solder on some connection wires to use when I place the switch back into the Beomaster.  I will make sure I protect the plastic switch housing when doing that soldering this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!