Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Beogram CD X: Revisiting To Address Some Loose Ends

I finished up the Beogram CD X in a previous post. It has been playing in my workshop since then. I haven't encountered any issues with actual CD play. However, while playing around with the CD X controls I did discover that the seven segment display window has a broken segment.

Pressing the "Display" text on the CD X touch panel will cycle the display from displaying the current track time, total elapsed time and the track number:number of repeats.

While in those other display modes I could see a missing segment.





















The Beogram CD X seven segment display is a module specifically made for several CD players of the CD X generation. I contacted Martin Olsen to see if he had any spares. Luckily for me he had a New Old Stock (NOS) module he could source me.

Having recently received it I opened the CD X back up for replacement of the display.































Re-installation of the CD X circuit board with this display is not as easy as it appears. While there are just three screws to mount the circuit board to the CD X frame...it must be aligned just right. The glass touch panel has a number of small rubber contact tabs that must contact metal posts on the board. If they don't make correct contact the touch panel won't operate correctly. It took me a couple of tries to get the CD X display board re-installed/re-aligned where everything worked again.

Once I got past that re-assembly hurdle the CD X was back to full functionality again.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!