Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Beogram 4004 Type 5526: New Damping Material for Tangential Drive Motor

I mentioned in the post about Tangential Drive Work that the drive screw motor on this Beogram seemed to have a lot of play in it. I checked some other Beogram units I have and they have very little to no play. The DC motor feels solid inside its black plastic housing on those other Beogram units. Not so on this one.

I needed to do something about the drive motor before I continue so I took the housing off the motor. Sure enough, the foam damping material was all but disintegrated inside.























No saving or restoring this mess. It needs to go so I gathered up the old foam material for disposal.

























There are quite a few options available today for a substitute. I decided to run down to my local RC hobby store and see what they use for motor vibration damping in RC cars, air planes, helicopters and other RC vehicles.
I found a 1/16th inch thick dense foam padding material that is sticky on one side. I cut it to size and applied it as two bands (front and back) around the DC motor. I also put a couple small rectangular pieces on the front and back.
























It looks quite good and a test fit proved that it should do a good job.






















I re-assembled the motor housing and this Beogram drive transport is ready to put back in the chassis.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!