Featured Post

Beogram 4002: Restoration of DC Motor Video Published - Check It Out!

By popular request (really, I got quite a few emails about this!...;-), I finally completed my Beogram DC motor restoration video! It demon...

Monday, March 5, 2018

Beogram 4000: Restoring the Carriage Position and Solenoid Driven Switches

After rebuilding the keypad cluster of this Beogram 4000 it was time to see to the remaining mechanical switches that control the Beogram's performance. There are two clusters, one beneath the carriage where the switches determine the position of the tonearm, and the other next to the solenoid. The solenoid activated switches are responsible for the activating the tracking mechanism, opening the outputs when the needle is in the groove and to regulate the solenoid power down once the arm is lowered.
This shows the carriage position switches. For getting to them it is best to drive the carriage inwards and remove the red position indicator assembly. Then the board is fully accessible:
After unsoldering the two leads that power the carriage motor and removal of two screws the board can be pulled up and turned around:
Some oxidation is visible on the back of the terminal tabs. For some reason the carriage position switch terminals are usually less oxidized than the other switches under the keypad and next to the solenoid. I removed the terminals
and coated them with gold:
Then it was time to solder them back in and clean the plastic plungers that activate the switches from 40 year old hardened grease. Then I turned my attention to the switches next to the solenoid. The single switch assembly that controls the solenoid power can be directly accessed after removing the two screws that hold it in place:
I extracted the terminal and then removed the assembly that holds the output and tracking activation switches:
This assembly needs to be taken apart while not ripping the thin wires off that are connecting the switches to the control system:
Once this was done I extracted the three terminals. This shows all four terminals as extracted:
'Beautifully' oxidized, I'd say! I brushed the oxide off with 2000 grit paper and a fiber glass brush and then coated them with gold:
That looked much better! I put everything back together and gave the system a first test...Good news: so far everything seems to work...the carriage is now setting down the arm at the 12 inch point and the solenoid actuated properly. A significant milestone has been reached in this restoration!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!