Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Friday, March 3, 2023

Beogram 4004: DC Platter Motor Restoration

I recently received the DC platter motor of a Beogram 4004 from Germany for restoration. The deck exhibited the usual RPM fluctuations suggestive of dry motor bearings. This shows the motor as received:

I took it apart to extract the bearings for oil infusion. They are the two small donuts on the black pad up front:
I immersed them in motor oil and pulled a vacuum. Immediately strong bubbling started:
The bubbling means that the vacuum pulls out the air from the porous Oilite bearing material, and that makes room for oil to diffuse into the material. After about three days the bubbling stopped, and I extracted the bearings:
I put the motor back together with the rejuvenated bearings and installed it in one of my Beograms for testing with the BeoloverRPM device:
The BeoloverRPM allows logging the RPM for longer periods of time. This is the curve I measured after about 24 hrs:

It looks pretty good! This motor is ready for duty again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!