Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Beogram 8002 Type 5633: Wrapping the project up

While I started work on the cosmetic part of the Beogram 8002 restoration I left the turntable functional components connected to my workshop Beomaster 8000 (also in a partially disassembled state) for listening to.























My wall-mounted shelving is extremely strong and playing records never skipped once during my listening tests.

Meanwhile, out in another workshop, I started to work on cleaning up the cabinet parts for this Beogram 8002.  Other than the usual double-sided tape deterioration and loose panels, this Beogram 8002 is in very nice shape.  

However, the deteriorated, original B&O tape found its way all over the cabinet, even on the dust cover.  I imagine that some of that occurred during shipping of the Beogram 8002 here.

I used a bunch of Goo-Gone to make the clean up easier.






















































That product works really well on old adhesive and makes it easier to scrape the old adhesive off.
It still takes some manual effort with cleaning cloths to get the surfaces down to just the bare material again.

Here is what the removed adhesive looks like after it was removed.





























Here are some more of the cabinet pieces after cleaning.



























I did a little bit of polishing on the dust cover just to get it new looking again. It didn't have any significant scratches and is really nice over all.





























I took the cabinet parts back into my electronics workshop to finish assembling the cabinet pieces.

Here are the new 3M VHB (0.8 mm) double-sided tape pieces attached to the cabinet for remounting the aluminum trim piece.





























In preparation for the tonearm compartment lid damping I applied some industrial damping grease.
Before installing the heaving turntable components is a good time to apply this damping grease.
















I will apply some more Nyogel 767A damping grease to the deck lid hinge lever when I remount it to the cabinet.

Next, I installed the functional turntable components (floating chassis, transformer, circuit boards and control panel.














































































































After testing that the turntable components were still working one more time I closed up the cabinet, attached the metal deck lid on the 3M VHB double-sided tape and attached the three floating chassis suspension clips.






























The next step was to reattach the dust cover and deck lid hinge with the long, metal hinge rod I removed back when I began this project.

The next sequence of photos show the reattachment of the metal deck lid.  I do it at this stage so I can use the dust cover as a guide for the metal deck lid alignment on its hinge.














































































































With the dust cover and metal deck lid reattached to the cabinet via the metal hinge rod, I connected up the dust cover lid damping mechanism.
























































Here is the Beogram 8002 reassembled.





























...and back playing records in my office.





























After a bit of listening I will pack this Beogram for shipment back to Idaho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!