Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Friday, September 4, 2026

Beomaster 8000 Type 1903 - Arizona Restoration Project - Power On Troubleshooting

After the initial assessment of the first post on this Beomaster 8000 (Type 1903) restoration, I left off needing to know if this Beomaster unit had a working power supply.

The expected "standby" LED segment (a red dot) was not illuminating on the display so I checked the power supply for the 5 volts the Beomaster 8000 Microcomputer PCB needs to operate.

The incoming DC voltage (about 11 VDC) was present on the reservoir capacitor and the regulator measures a 5 V output.





















































I didn't check the ±15 volt regulators but I did measure their reservoir capacitors.  They measured as expected.






































After double-checking the cables and individual wires from the power supply to the Microcomputer PCB, I tested the Beomaster 8000 power on again.

Same result, the Beomaster 8000 appears dead.




























The problem is most likely in the Microcomputer PCB.

One reason I have a Workshop Beomaster 8000 unit is so I have easy access to known good boards from a working Beomaster 8000.

I swapped the Microcomputer PCBs between this restoration unit and my Workshop Beomaster 8000.

The result is the Beomaster 8000 comes to life.

















The source selection functions all operate as well as the volume dial and tuning dial.
There are some display segments out but I will sort those later.

The owner of this Beomaster 8000 says that he stopped using the receiver because the FM tuning stopped working.  Since it appears to work with my "good" Workshop Beomaster 8000 Microcomputer PCB, I can say that the Microcomputer PBC of this Beomaster being restored has a problem.

I will start in on that PCB next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!