Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Monday, April 11, 2022

Beomaster 2000 Type 2801: Finishing things up

In the last post I was pretty pleased with my new lamp socket for the Beomaster 2000 dial pointer.  It was going to be great. 

Unfortunately the joy was short lived.

As I examined the inside of the Beomaster cabinet to test fit the new dial pointer assembly I discovered that the nice lamp socket requires a depth of about 7 mm more than is available.

This photo shows the path that the dial pointer must travel which takes it over the top of a number of adjustable tuning inductors. 

The nice, new assembly doesn't fit.





























So it was on to Plan B.
I removed the lamp socket and returned to soldering the leads of the wedge style lamp to the power wires.  It isn't as pretty but it is how it has to be.
















Now there is room for the dial pointer to navigate across the tuning dial.

In testing the Beomaster 2000 lamps I noticed there is a bit of bleeding of the power on and stereo lamps over to the tuning balance lamp window.

I decided to cut a thin piece of black, heavy-duty tape to mask off the two lamp holders.





























Now I could properly install the dial pointer and lamp board in their final positions.





























After calibrating the dial pointer on the dial cord I rechecked the tuning voltages again per the service manual. 

Before closing up the cabinet I had one more repair to make.
I had noticed that the rear DIN jack for Tape 1 was loose.
As I have seen on other Beomaster types with similar style DIN jacks, this one had broken tabs that hold the DIN jack in place in the cabinet frame.
























































I used some parts I had from a Beolover DIN jack repair kit for the Beomaster 8000.
The side pieces fit perfectly on this DIN jack to secure (with a little glue) the DIN jack in place.





























They work great and are so much more pleasing than globs of epoxy I have seen on other repair attempts.

Here, finally, is the reassembled Beomaster 2000 Type 2801 receiver playing music again.

















































So far I have only listened to the FM, AM, Tape 1 and Tape 2 source inputs.  The sound is very nice.  I am currently using a pair of Beovox S-55 speakers in my workshop to listen with.
It is different from the Beomaster 4400 for sure but I can't really describe it.  There isn't anything negative I can say about it so I will move this Beomaster to a listening room where I can properly connect up a Beogram and a Beocord.

...But first a quick check on the QuantAsylum QA401 Audio Analyzer that I always check out my amplifiers with.

The speaker outputs are connected to a pair of fixed 8Ω dummy loads.
The QA401 is set to send a 316mVrms, 1KHz sine wave into the Beomaster Tape 1 input.
I will adjust the volume on the Beomaster 2000 to achieve the maximum output I can get without badly distorting the output.

With this Beomaster 2000 that maximum output power turned out to be about 25 Watts.
That was slightly surprising as other Beomaster amplifiers have always reached their stated power outputs.  The expected output level for this Beomaster 2000 is 30 Watts across 8 Ω with a THD of less than 0.1% for a 1Khz sine wave input.

My measurement gave me 25 Watts across 8 Ω with a THD of 0.03% (so very nice there).
Above 25 Watts however, things diminish rather quickly.

The frequency response measurement at 25 Watts was also respectable.  The left and right channel outputs across the 20 Hz to 20,0000 Hz range varied by less than the ±1.5dB specification.






















In my listening test in the workshop I turned played music at a very loud listening level without hearing any noticeable distortion.  So I will move on to some real listening room tests and see how this receiver works in a more enjoyable environment.  

I will save these measurements to compare to the next Beomaster 2000 Type 2801 that comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!