Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Beogram 4002: DC Platter Motor Restoration

A Beogram 4002 DC platter motor arrived from New York for some TLC. This shows the motor:
I took it apart to get to the bearings for oil infusion:
The bearings are the two small donuts on the black pad. I immersed them in motor oil and pulled a vacuum:
Immediately, the usual bubbling started indicating that air was drawn from the pores of the oil depleted bearing material. As the air is drawn out, oil can diffuse in replenishing the bearing material for another tour of duty.
After about 48 hours the bubbling stopped and I extracted the bearings for reinstallation:
I put the motor back together and installed it in one of my Beogram 4002s for the RPM stability test with my BeoloverRPM device:
The BeoloverRPM can log the RPM in 10s intervals for extended periods of time. This allows pinpointing intermittent RPM issues. This is the curve I measured after 24 hrs:

This result is as good as it gets! This motor is ready for duty again!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!