Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Beogram 4004: Restoration of DC Platter Motor

I recently received a Beogram 4004 DC platter motor from Texas. The motor exhibited the typical shrieking noises when running it from a bench supply at 5V. A clear indication of dry bearings.
This shows the motor as received:
I took the motor apart to get the brass bearings out for oil infusion:
The bearings are the two small donuts on the black pad up front. I immersed them in motor oil and pulled a vacuum. Immediately vigorous bubbling started, indicating thirsty bearings:
After about 48 hours the bubbling stopped (indicating that the bearings were replenished with oil) and I extracted the bearings:
Then I reassembled the motor and installed it in one of my Beogram 4002s for a 24 hrs RPM stability test using the BeoloverRPM device. The BeoloverRPM allows logging the RPM every 10 seconds over extended periods of time. This is the curve I measured:
This result is as good as it gets! This motor is ready for duty again!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!