I recently received a Beogram 8002 from a customer in California for a full restoration. It arrived safely packaged in a Beolover shipping container, and no shipping damage occurred.
This shows the unit on my bench:
As usual, the aluminum panels had come off due to degraded double-sided tape. After I opened the hood, I was not able to close it again since the plastic back part had lost one or more of its attachment tabs:
As in most cases, the hood was fairly badly scratched:
I carefully removed it to not damage the plastic back even more, and then I had a look at the aluminum surfaces. The platter is still pretty nice aside from a few minor issues:
Sadly, the small aluminum cover has a deep scratch
Unfortunately, there is no other way to fix this other than obtaining a nice-looking replacement.
The rosewood trim is still in pretty good condition. Aside from a few minor scratches in the veneer, the left corner is still pristine
It seems that a wet sponge may be able to remove them. After this visual inspection, I extracted all the functional parts and set them up on my Lazy Susan work platform:
A rotating platform makes it much easier to work on this fragile setup with its many wire connections, etc...
I plugged the unit in. The red LED dot in the display showed power made it to the circuit. I pressed Start, and the platter and the carriage motor started running. Due to a very loose carriage belt and hardened lubricants, the carriage stayed put, however.
In summary, all pretty good signs. I expect that I can restore this unit to like-new performance. If the dust cover and the small aluminum plate are replaced, it will also look nearly new. Stay tuned for my restoration report that I will publish about this project once I am done.









No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments and suggestions are welcome!