Featured Post

Beogram Commander Remote Control: Maybe This is the Final Version!..;-)

This is a follow up to my recent post about the redesigned Beogram Commander remote control board, which now works in both (DC-motor) Beogr...

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Beogram 4004 Type 5526: Second Beogram 4004 from Texas

When I started the last Beogram 4004 project I mentioned that it was one of two from the same owner. Both units were purchased new back in the late 70's. The first unit (serial number 1750052) is a little older than the second one (serial number 2030024). The second Beogram also has the lighter, teak trim while the first one has the more common rosewood trim. Both look really nice.































Like the first unit this one has been extremely well taken care of. The only thing that stopped it from working is aging parts that this restoration will fix.

I always remove the dust cover and safely store it away when I work on Beogram turntables. It is easier to work on the turntable restoration without having to worry about accidentally bumping the dust cover.

The platter is pretty well centered in the cabinet. I like seeing that.





























Inside the Beogram has the expected debris from the deteriorated transport bushings. Beolover 3D printed replacements will take care of that (after I clean the loose pieces up).




















The platter motor that is usually in the upper left corner of the picture (above) was already removed and sent to Beolover for restoration when the motor from the first unit was done. I will reinstall it after I work on the other components in the cabinet.

The tonearm and fixed arm assembly looks to be in excellent shape and like the first Beogram 4004 unit, still at the factory settings.






















The tangential arm assembly drive motor and pulley look like they need some work. That was expected. All of the plastic pulley's I have come across have small cracks where the pulley mounts to the spindle. The motor assembly doesn't look like it is centered in its case...by looking at its pulley.
I will restore these the way I did on the first Beogram.






















Here is a look at the main board (the controller board) and the output/remote control board. They will have their electrolytic and tantalum capacitors replaced. The controller board will also get a new RPM selection relay and two new RPM speed trimmers. The output board will get a new relay and a grounding switch will be added (as we normally do on these turntables).

Note that this Beogram has the National type relays instead of the Siemens type relays. Beolover makes replacement relay modules for both types.























Finally, here is the Beogram 4004 at my typical restoration starting position. I will remove the floating chassis to clean and lubricate it. I will remove the suspension lockdown components to replace the bushings. I will also clean the empty cabinet of any debris from the old bushings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!