Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Monday, September 10, 2018

Canada Beomaster 8000: Changing the reservoir capacitors and some rust (?)

After an unscheduled little break over the Labor Day holiday it is time to get cracking on these Beomaster 8000 restorations.

This weekend I started on the Beomaster 8000 from Canada, replacing the four 10,000uF reservoir capacitors. These are the reservoirs for the left and right channel ±55V rails.






















Starting with the left channel

































The solder posts on the replacement capacitors are just a small post and do not provide the nice mounting terminal the original reservoir capacitors had.






















To compensate I add a small, flat terminal at each end of the connecting bus-bar.






















After that I added mounting terminals to the five wires that connect to the left channel reservoir capacitors. I won't connect those yet because I will need the slack in the wires when I reinstall the left channel output amplifier assembly.




























On to the right channel reservoir capacitors.























There is the same issue with the new capacitors and mounting the bus-bar.

























Solved the same way.
























I went ahead and connected up the five supply wires with their new terminals on the right channel. They won't be in the way for the right channel output amplifier installation later.






















I was actually hoping to reinstall the left and right channel output amplifiers after their respective reservoir capacitors were replaced. However, when working on the left channel reservoir capacitors I noticed something odd on the cabinet base that looked like corrosion.

So I took a little detour on my restoration step order.  I went ahead and removed all of the Beomaster 8000 boards from the cabinet so I could fully inspect the inside of the cabinet base.























The corrosion was rather strange. It is only on the left side of the cabinet (when looking at the Beomaster from the front). The areas with the corrosion remove the cabinet black paint when I wipe it with a paper towel.



There is no corrosion on the right side. Just some dust that needs cleaning up.






















Back to the left side of the Beomaster cabinet I wiped all of the nooks and crannies that had the rust.






















On this type of problem I apply three coats of a rust neutralizer. It will turn the rust black. After twenty-four hours I will check the result and see if any rust has reformed. If it does then I will retreat the areas again. Once the treatment is satisfactory I will be able to paint the inside of the cabinet with black, rust protective paint.

























This detour doesn't really hold up progress on this Beomaster project. I can proceed to work on the Beomaster 8000 boards I removed.  I will return to the cabinet in twenty-four hours though to see if it is satisfactory to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!