Featured Post

Beogram 4002: Restoration of DC Motor Video Published - Check It Out!

By popular request (really, I got quite a few emails about this!...;-), I finally completed my Beogram DC motor restoration video! It demon...

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Beomaster 4400 (2419): Reassembly and Power Checks

Today I reassembled the electrical components of the Beomaster 4400 and performed the all important first power on test. The goal here was to verify all of the board component work is correct and the Beomaster can be plugged in, turned on and all of the power supply voltages are good.

I installed the FM boards (PC1, PC2 and PC3) first.
























I had removed the shield cover to the main power switch so I reinstalled those parts now.






















The last board to install is the PC4 preamplifier board.























As I was tightening the mounting screws of the preamplifier board to the cabinet I was reminded of a problem (in my opinion) with the design of the connector panel. The RCA jacks are too close together. This is also the case on the Beomaster 4000 receiver. I don't own any audio cables with RCA plugs that can mate with the Beomaster 4000 and 4400 receivers. The only solution will be to make my own and use heat shrink tubing instead of the outer shell that comes with the RCA plugs.






































You can see that only the bare RCA plugs can fit the space allotted by the Beomaster connector panel.

I always connect Bang & Olufsen source components to the Beomasters so it isn't a problem for me but it is something to be aware of if you are planning on using your Beomaster 4400 for some non-B&O audio source components. The solution in that case is to get an adapter cable that goes from the RCA plugs to a 5-pin DIN plug.

Anyway, just a pet peeve on my part. Continuing on it is time to see what happens when power is applied to this newly recapped Beomaster 4400.  In the case of the older Beomaster amplifiers I like to use a variac with a dim-bulb tester on the first power up. It is just added protection in case I missed something. 






































The Beomaster 4400 powered up fine. That is great so now I checked all of the DC voltages in the Beomaster.

Here is the +15 VDC power check where the regulator 0IC1 attaches to the PC5 board.






















Next is the +35 VDC rail voltage at TP3 of PC5.

























Then the -35 VDC rail voltage at 5R16 of the PC5 board.






















I checked the +24 VDC voltages at the emitters of 5TR3 and 5TR4.  Here is a picture of the 5TR3 emitter. Both measured +24 VDC as they should.






















Last I checked the -12 VDC at TP15 of PC5.


















Very nice. Everything looks good so far. Tomorrow I will start adjusting the no-load current (idle current) and the source levels. Once that is done I will be able to see how this amplifier performs with audio signals.

1 comment:

  1. Extremely impressive John. I can "almost" hear it right now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and suggestions are welcome!