Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Monday, June 19, 2017

Beogram 4002 Type 5513: Some Cabinet Work

This weekend I worked on getting the Beogram 4002 re-assembled with its cabinet trim and deck cover. I removed the rosewood trim so it would be out of the way and not be susceptible to accidental damage during the other restoration steps.

The rosewood trim attaches to a metal frame that slides out to unlock and slides in to lock the Beogram 4002 cabinet. The metal frame has five guide washers that are almost always broken on the Beogram 4002 units. This one was no exception. The guide washers are a special designed part as shown in this earlier Beolover post.

Here is this Beogram fitted with the Beolover 3D printed guide washer replacements.




















At first you might think these can just be refitted with some flat washers from the hardware store. Why buy the special printed parts. I can tell you these guide washers make a big difference in properly assembling the Beogram cabinet. As you can see in the Beolover blog post, the guide washers mount in place to provide a proper guide for the cabinet locking frame to slide along.

As I was attaching the cabinet trim/lock I noticed the frame was separating from the rosewood along the front.























This had to be epoxied before I could continue. It is not a good idea to glue it in place. Glue can be messy and before you know it you have a crisis on your hands. Be safe and properly remove the trim piece to work on it independently.  I cover all of the rosewood with good painter's tape so I don't have to worry about scratches or glue residue on the finish.  This picture shows the glue areas ready to receive the epoxy.






















You can't have too many clamps. A couple of years ago I found these little miniature clamps like the big ones I have in my workshop. They are great for small things like this.






















For this type of gluing I like to use a slow drying epoxy so I don't have to panic in getting excess glue wiped off and making sure the clamps have everything aligned.  I let this dry overnight.

The next morning the trim/locking piece was ready to use. Now I could finish attaching it to the cabinet with the five guide washers.  It fits good and looks good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!