Featured Post

Beogram 4002: Restoration of DC Motor Video Published - Check It Out!

By popular request (really, I got quite a few emails about this!...;-), I finally completed my Beogram DC motor restoration video! It demon...

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Beogram 8000: New Arrival From The North

This Beogram 8000 arrived this week. It traveled here from Wisconsin so it lives quite a bit north from me. The Beogram is double-boxed with two inch foam all around to protect the original Bang & Olufsen Beogram 8000 shipping box. That is as secure as it gets.



























Moving the Beogram to my workbench I continued the unpacking.
























The tape was necessary because this turntable has the usual problem as all Beogram 8000 and 8002 units do by this time in their life...The original double-sided tape Bang & Olufsen used to secure the deck lid and tonearm compartment cover has deteriorated where the metal pieces are loose. This unit was packed really well where none of the loose parts could move during shipping.

The Beogram shipping box has a special foam insert to hold the top platter while also filling space under the dust cover so the Beogram is secure. The first thing I removed is the dust cover assembly. It is a good idea to remove it so it doesn't accidentally move around and get damaged when I work on the turntable.



























Here is the Beogram with all of the loose pieces removed.
























This picture of the tonearm compartment deck lid shows what the deteriorated double-sided tape looks like. The old tape residue has to be scraped off and everything cleaned really good before repairing it.






















Also like most of these turntables, the dust cover hinge has problems. The parts look like they are all there. The hinge pointed to in the following picture shows the typical problem of no longer being attached to the dust cover lid. 






























So far all of the noted issues are typical Beogram 800x problems and can be successfully restored.

This is really interesting. I don't recall ever seeing this before. The Beogram speed sensor strobe disk appears to be in perfect condition. Usually these plastic disks are peeling apart. Later Beogram 8000 units replaced this strobe disk with a metal one.



The initial inspection is complete and I don't see any surprising problems with it. The Beogram is well taken care of and is excellent condition to be restored.

The next step is to remove the main board and prepare to replace the electrolytic capacitors. I will also re-flow solder on the main board .





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!