Featured Post

Beogram 4002: Restoration of DC Motor Video Published - Check It Out!

By popular request (really, I got quite a few emails about this!...;-), I finally completed my Beogram DC motor restoration video! It demon...

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Beomaster 8000 Terminal: Replacement of Corroded Battery Terminals and the Design of a New 3D Printed Battery Cover

The Beomaster 6000 that I just repaired came with a non-working Beomaster 8000 Terminal remote control. It turned out that a simple replacement of the corroded battery terminals was enough to restore power and with that the functionality of the unit. However, this Terminal was also lacking the battery cover and the rubber bumpers that keep it from sliding off polished furniture surfaces. Since this is not the first Terminal that I saw with lacking battery compartment cover, I decided to design a 3D printed replacement part. Here are a few impressions of my progress:

This shows the original corroded battery terminals:
and the installed replacement:

After a few design iterations I had a fitting battery compartment cover:
This shows it in comparison with the cover I extracted from one of my Terminals. Here the outside surface of the part:
The part has rubber bumpers like the original. Thir location is slightly different due to stability considerations, but they do their job very well.
This shows the part installed:

Pretty, eh?? The latch works exactly like in the original part. The cover can be extracted from the ouside by inserting a small flat blade screw driver and then lifting it out.

But why in orange you may wonder?!? I usually use orange for prototyping since I have an ample supply on hand these days for filling CleanerVinyl orders. Orange also reveals more details than black in photographs. But of course the final version was printed in black. Here in comparison with the original:
And in more detail:
If you are lacking the battery compartment cover on your Terminal, this part is available for purchase. Just send me message (use the contact form on the left).

The remaining task was to replace the worn/missing rubber bumpers at the lower end of the Terminal body. This shows a newly installed bumper (right) in comparison with a broken off original bumper (left):
And both replaced:
The final step was to clean the unit. I employed my ultrasonic cleaner (another benefit of the CleanerVinyl project...;-) and the buttons and housing came out in a fairly pristine condition:
What a lovely classic design! This is Beolove!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!