Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Beogram 4000: A New DIN 5 Cable and a Grounding Switch

The Beogram 4000 that I am currently restoring had a cutoff output cable:
This is already the third 4000 that I am working on that had a mutilated cable. I really wonder why some people are attracted to cutting off cables...very strange! Anyway this gave me an opportunity to install a modern cable with double braided and foil shielding, which is the best way to keep interference from our precious MMC signals on their way to the amplifier.
I installed a quality Neutrik gold plated all-metal DIN5 plug on the business end of the cable:
I always like the looks of these plugs!

Here is the other end inside the turntable. First I prepared the cable for installation:
and then I soldered it in at the terminal block. This shows the original setup with my standard grounding switch already installed. This switch allows to connect signal and system grounds in case a RCA adapter without grounding breakout is used:
This shows the set-up with the new cable:
All good again in the 'signal path department'! Platter alignment and floating chassis adjustment are next!





1 comment:

Comments and suggestions are welcome!