Featured Post

Beogram Commander Remote Control: Maybe This is the Final Version!..;-)

This is a follow up to my recent post about the redesigned Beogram Commander remote control board, which now works in both (DC-motor) Beogr...

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Beomaster 8000: Repair of a Ripped Off Keypad Ribbon Cable

I recently repaired a ripped off ribbon cable in a Beomaster 8000 that connects the volume rotary encoder to the microcontroller board. I thought I was done, but the front panel came back, now with the frequency encoder cable broken off. The hot glue that I used to fix it in place had come off from the cable, and subsequently it broke off during the rigors my customer's restoration effort put on the solder points:

At least this time I was able to reuse the cable in its full length, so I could simply remove a bit more insulation and solder it back in. I removed the keypad PCB, cleaned the solder points and then did the soldering:
Then I glued it on with epoxy to the PCB back, hoping this will be more durable:

After that I reattached the PCB using new (they should not be reused after taking them out) 3mm retaining clips and nylon washers to protect the PCB. Then it was time for testing. I put the panel into the Beomaster 8000 that I am currently restoring for another customer and turned it on. I tested all keypad buttons and both encoders, and everything seemed to work properly. I hope this was the last time I worked on this particular panel and this 8000 will finally be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!