Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Beocord 9000: Restoration of the Peak Program Meter Scale Illumination

While the scale illumination light bulb was still working in the Beocord 9000 display that I am rebuilding right now, my customer decided to replace the bulb anyway to make sure that there are no unwanted surprises during return shipping. I can only agree since these light bulbs have a tendency to break their leads of during high vibration-situations (think speeding FedEx truck and a bunch potholes...;-). Once one is in there, I think it is best to simply replace everything and be done with it.
I did this procedure already once in the last Beocord 9000 that I rebuilt, which had a broken bulb.

Here are a few pictures to document the process for this particular unit:
This photo shows the original light bulb held in place by the 'cork' that sticks through the PCB

and from the back:
This is the PCB that I implanted. It is the same that I use in the Beogram 4000 to replace the position-scale incandescent bulbs.
It has almost the same width as the 5 mm bulb that they used in the Beocord 9000. I only use one red-green LED on the board for this application, i.e. I bridged the second LED position with SMD jumpers ("000"). It is important to replace incandescent bulbs with red-green LEDs if the light is being filtered or reflected by red or green features (like in this case where the scale is both green and red).

This picture shows the LED board inserted into the bulb space.

And from the back. It can directly be soldered to the solder points of the bulb, the polarity matches:

Here is a picture of the test drive:

On to the 7-segment display.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!