Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Beomaster 8000: Display Repair (I) - Installation of SMD LEDs and Test

Last week I was sent a Beomaster 8000 display board for rebuilding the displays with surface mount LEDs. I installed the display into one of my Beomasters and had a look:

Many segments were dead. A clear case for a rebuild. As usual the balance display was still good. So far I have to find a broken balance display yet. Their boards look differently, i.e. they seem to have come from a different manufacturer. I set out to rebuild the display with SMD LEDs. Here are a few pictures of the process. Display board removed:
Displays liberated. It is best to take the top three out at once. Otherwise it is easy to damage the plastic alignment fixture:
Removed from the plastic fixture:
Opened up:
This shows the frequency display board after removing the original LEDs:
SMD LEDs lined up for population of the board:
After installing all LEDs. Now I will run them for 24hrs in my test fixture to make sure everything is stable:








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!