Featured Post

Beolover SyncDrive: DC Platter Motor Replacement for Beogram 4002 and 4004 (Type 551x and 552x)

Late Beogram 4002 and the 4004 (Types 551x and 552x), which have DC platter motors instead of the earlier synchronous AC motors usually suff...

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Beogram 4004 Plays Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else (Blue Note 1595)

A happy moment in my recently restarted life as vinyl enthusiast: I recently ebayed a new 200g pressing by Classic Records of the seminal Blue Note recording (1595) "Somethin' Else" with Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Sam Jones and Art Blakey. Today it arrived. One of my all time favorites! Right up there with Kind of Blue. And now playing on my lovely Beogram 4004 via the Beomaster 6000 4-Channel. A great harvest from all that restoration effort! Here is a picture of my bliss:






















I am quite impressed by this Classic Records edition. Hardly any cracklings or other audible issues, and a just very transparent and natural sound. I got the stereo edition. I read that the Mono pressings of Classic Records are something special (interesting discussion here), so I am hoping to find one soon for a reasonable price to be able to compare (the 45 RPM issue from Analogue Productions would probably also make for an interesting comparison). I also like the quality of the sleeve a lot. Very heavy duty cardboard, and no funny added labels or anything...just looks like the original would have in 1958. Even the stereo sticker looks like an authentic reproduction. The record is also exceptionally flat. The only issue I could find is that it is slightly eccentric. But it is really difficult to find a record that is fully centric. 

I recently bought a Blue Note reissue of Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage", and I have to say that the quality of sound of this Classic Records album blows the Blue Note reissue clean out of the water. Much more crackles and other issues on the Blue Note in-house reissue. Furthermore, the Classic Records package has a much better feel. The Blue Note reissue has added labeling like bluenote.com etc...also the inner sleeve is a crappy advertising paper sleeve, while the Classic Records issue has a three-layer plastic sleeve with an integrated paper to stabilize it. Much nicer! Well worth the additional expense. One immediately recognizes true love...;-). Like Beolove! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are welcome!